What are Courses in Collabra?
In Collabra, Courses allow you to connect with your students’ Collabra accounts, as well as keep your students organized. Once you have an instructor account, you’ll need to create a course and send the generated Course Code to your students. Once students enter your Course Code into their Collabra accounts, they will be automatically added to your course and connected to your account.
How many Courses do I need?
You will need at least 1 course to begin using Collabra with your students. How many courses you will need depends on your individual teaching configuration, but you should use your Courses to logically group your students. When deciding how to set up your courses, you should keep the following things in mind:
- Students can enroll in multiple courses with multiple instructors.
- Subscriptions are not based on the number of courses students are enrolled in.
- Lessons, Practices, Time Logs, and Assessments are separated by course.
- There is no limit to the number of courses you can create or the number or length of recordings within courses.
- Students can easily be moved from one course to another by dragging and dropping.
- When students are removed from a course or a course is deleted by the instructor, the course will still appear in their accounts along with all of the archived material. Students will just not be able to add new materials.
For School or University Instructors
If you teach in a school or university setting, we suggest you create a course for each separate class you teach – even if some or all of the students are the same. That allows you to keep lessons, practices, and assessments organized by the class. We also suggest that you create new courses at the beginning of semester or year if your enrollment changes.
For Private Instructors
If you teach privately, we suggest you create courses for each location you where you teach. If you teach more than one instrument, you might also want to create courses for those students. (Keep in mind that you can further organize students by creating groups within courses. For instance, to separate students by skill levels.)
How do I create a course?
1. Navigate to the ‘Manage Courses & Groups’ page.
From the home page, click on the green Create Course button below the STUDENTS column on the left. Alternatively, you can click on the yellow Manage Courses & Groups button below the STUDENT MANAGEMT heading. (These both take you to the same page.)
2. Enter a name for your course and click the ‘Add Course‘ button.
Type a name for your course and click the Add Course button. Your newly-created course will appear below.
3. Send the Course Code to your students.
Copy the Course Code, located below the Course Name, and send it to your students. Instruct them to go to the Collabra website (http://collabra.wpengine.com) and click on Sign Up in the top menu. From there they can create an account and enter your Course Code to connect to your account.
Once your students sign up for your course, they will automatically appear inside the course.
How do I rename a course?
If you want to rename a course you’ve already created, click on the Rename Course button below the Course Code. You will be prompted to enter a new name for the course. Click the green Rename Course button to save the new course name. Click on Cancel to delete your changes.
How do I delete a course?
If you want to delete a course, click on the Delete Course button below the Course Code. In the dialogue that appears, click on the red Delete Course button to finish deleting the course or Cancel to keep the course.
*Note: Even though you’ve deleted the course, it will still appear in your students’ accounts. They will just not be able to add new materials. This is so students can still access their archived lessons, practices, and assessments.